Why should I be baptized?
- Because you want to follow Jesus’ example, Mark 1:9
- Because Christ commanded it, Matthew 28:19-20
- Because it shows you are a believer, Acts 18:8, 1 John 2:3
What is the meaning of baptism?
- It is a symbol of Jesus Christ’s burial and resurrection. 1 Corinthians 15:3-4, Colossians 2:12
- It is a symbol of your new life as a Christian. 2 Corinthians 5:17, Romans 6:4.
- Baptism doesn’t make you a believer; it shows that you already believe. Baptism does not "save"you; only your faith in Christ does that. Baptism is like a wedding ring; it’s the outward symbol of the commitment you made in your heart. Ephesians 2:8-9
How are we to be baptized?
- Like Jesus was baptized… by being immersed in water. Matthew 3:16
- Every baptism in the Bible was by immersion under water. Acts 8:38-39
- The word "baptize" literally means "to dip under water." (Greek word baptizo: "to immerse or dip under water.")
- It best symbolizes a burial and resurrection!
Who should be baptized?
Every person who has made the decision to commit their life to Christ. Acts 2:41, 8:13, and 8:12
Some churches practice a "baptism of confirmation" for children. This ceremony is intended to be a covenant between the parents and God on the behalf of the child. The parents promise to raise their child in the faith until the child is old enough go make his or her own personal confession of Christ. This custom began about 300 years after the Bible was completed. This is different from the baptism talked bout in the Bible, which was only for those old enough to believe. The purpose of baptism is to publicly confess your personal commitment to Christ.
What about being baptized twice?
Good Hope Baptist Church requires that you be baptized by immersion. If you were previously baptized in some manner other than by immersion, then you would be required to be baptized by immersion. If you have been baptized by immersion since trusting Christ, then you do not need to be baptized again. Good Hope Baptist Church requires that you be baptized again if you have not been baptized by immersion since you became a believer. This doesn’t devalue a prior experience but simply reflects your desire to be baptized. If you have been baptized by immersion since trusting Christ, then you do not need to be baptized again.
Can my family be baptized together?
Yes; if each family member understands fully the meaning of baptism and each one has personally placed his/her trust in Christ for salvation, we encourage families to be baptized at the same time. It is a wonderful expression of commitment.
What should I wear when I am baptized?
Wear an appropriate pair of shorts or pants and a t-shirt; you will be given a robe to wear as well. Do not wear socks.
Bring a change of clothes, a towel, and a plastic bag for your wet clothes. We provide changing rooms.
Will I have to say anything?
Yes. After you have been introduced you will be asked a question: What is your confession you will reply, Jesus Christ is lord! The pastor will briefly lower you just under the water and then you can leave the pool, dry off, and prepare to rejoin the worship service. Later, you will be mailed a certificate of your baptism. We encourage you to invite all your relatives and friends to attend your baptism.