“An effective worship leader, aided and led by the Holy Spirit, skillfully combines Biblical Truth with music to magnify the worth of God and the redemptive work of Jesus Christ, thereby motivating the gathered church to join him in proclaiming and cherishing the Truth about God and seeking to live all of life for the glory of God.”
Sovereign Grace Ministries
Provide a comprehensive music and worship ministry for all ages and corporate worship of the church which faithfully magnifies the greatness of God and His work through His Son’s sacrifice and atonement for our sins—His life, suffering, death on the cross, resurrection from the dead, and gift of eternal life. (Romans 3:23-26)
Accountable to: Senior Pastor (directly), Elders, Personnel Team, Church.
Team Roles and Responsibilities
Share the Truth we know about our Great Redeemer in order to glorify Him through music and worship (through choirs, ensembles, bands, and praise teams, for example).
God’s Biblical prescription for leading worship includes the following qualities in team members:
3) Submissive spirit
4) Being committed
Music and Worship Ministry Team Members Expectations/Qualities
1) Continually confess Jesus Christ as the Son of God and understand that our service in this ministry is for His glory, honor and fame alone. (Romans 10:9-10, 13; Matt: 10:32; Psalm 51:17; Philippians 2:3; Daniel 4:37)
2) Love as we are loved. (I Corinthians 13)
3) Submit to and respect the authority of church leadership and the church’s beliefs as grounded in scripture (and as outlined in the church constitution). (Hebrews 13:17)
4) Remembering that Jesus Christ established the Church, support the church body with our time, talents and tithes. (Matthew 23:22; 2 Corinthians 9:7)
5) Faithfully fulfill all our commitments of service to this ministry, which includes faithful attendance, being punctual and arriving prepared and giving our excellent best offering to this ministry. (1 Corinthians 4:2; Proverbs 20:13)
6) Take time to prepare ourselves through prayer, confession and repentance before worship services so we will be cleansed and ready to be used as an empty vessel for the glory of God. (Ephesians 4:12-13, Psalm 24:4-5; Psalm 51:2; Hebrews 10:22-25)
7) See that our conduct is in keeping with the principles of the Bible; realizing that, as a Christian leader, our daily activities are being watched by those who follow Christ and those who do not. We will therefore apply the teaching of Christ in moral and social issues of my everyday life. (Ephesians 4:1; Galatians 5:19-25; James 1:22)
8) We will pray regularly for this ministry, the church body, the pastor and the church leadership. (1 Thessalonians 5:17)
Responsibilities of the Chairperson (paid staff)
1) Selects music and plan services which are Scripturally-based and theologically sound, celebratory, participatory, spiritual, and relevant.
2) Directs music groups and congregational singing as appropriate and as needed/delegates accordingly.
3) Works with the children’s, youth, and senior adult leaders to create a worship culture and worship leader opportunities in which various ages can participate.
4) Supervises the work of other music leaders in the church such as keyboardists, instrumentalists, vocalists, and other music ministry/choir leaders and schedules as appropriate
5) Establishes, communicates, maintains and encourages lifestyle and ministry Scriptural standards for overall music ministry (per Music and Worship Covenant and Guidelines).
6) Oversees/approves and schedules sound team (sound, ProPresenter, lighting) and whatever is produced by that team for use in services (slides, videos, sound)—in conjunction with the Communications Director.
7) Assists with music planning for special services such as weddings, funerals and other church gatherings and projects as appropriate and as needed.
8) Oversees and guides ancillary teams directly connected to the music ministry such as drama, interpretive worship team, ensembles, etc. . . ..
9) Supervises the care, maintenance, repair and/or replacement of the music instruments and equipment as appropriate (ex. piano tuning).
10) Oversees music/video copyright compliance (licenses, etc. . . .) in conjunction with the Communications Director.
11) Oversees music resource maintenance (stored music, props, etc. . . . ).
12) Prepares and administers the music ministry budget within the working procedures established by her church.
13) Coordinates and plans advertisement and disseminating info regarding the music and worship ministry to the church as well as to the public (works with the Communications team, designers, assists in updating website, etc.)
14) Attends staff meetings as appropriate.
15) Participates in general pastoral care to those in the music and worship ministry
1) Maintains accountability for the music and worship philosophy and vision of each service by having open communication with the Senior Pastor and other team members to continually plan and improve services and worship plans
2) Works to develop and improve personal musical and worship-leading skills and those of others in the music and worship ministry through study and training such as seminars and conferences as appropriate and available.
3) Re-evaluates on an on-going basis and communicates covenant/guidelines/standards for the music and worship ministry to all participants
4) Guides enlistment and recruitment of congregational members to use their gifts/skills in music and worship ministry.
5) Encourages instrumentalists to become most effective by attaining their highest level of music excellence.
6) Prepares budget recommendations, in consultation with the appropriate staff, and submit to the Finance Committee.